Wednesday, June 21, 2006




(Jesus Loves You in Russian)

One of the places in which I worship besides my home church (Naperville Presbyterian Church) is Church of God in Downers Grove.

Now I have been attending this church for over a year, on and off due to college amongst other things. I was invited by a classmate of mine at Waubonsee, I was intrigued because it was (and still is) predominantly Russian Charismatic.
Now my home church is Presbyterian, and the stigma on the Presbyterians is that there's no swaying, no clapping and such things associated with church of this nature, very true for my church for the most part and because of it, we're known as the "Frozen Chosen."
Back to the Church of God... I haven't much knowledge about Pentacostal and Charismatic churches except for what I've read but never experienced, so when I went to Church of God for the first time, boy was I suprised! They're really big into the gift of talking in tongues, so...yeah...I'm surrounded by people who talk in tongues (but I'm a bit skeptical, later blog post).

I enjoy it greatly!
Not because of the jumpers, the speaking-in-tongue people, or the pastor who delivers great messages. I enjoy it because I connect with God in a way that is outside of my norms and my culture, I'm a white suburanite who loves God, but not in the way that is like this. I admit that because of my mental barriers, I do not jump with the rest of them, I don't know- I don't feel comfortable doing such.

So, if you're the type who like challenges, go to a church sometime in the near future that is different than your usual place of worship, for example - if you're a Baptist, trying going to a Presbyterian... But this is just an example of an extreme case! Just kidding.

Going on by God's strength alone,
***nv***

1 comments:

Ρωμανός ~ Romanós said...

Slava Bohu! (Glory to God!)
Yes, when I worship with Pentecostals, when they sing in tongues, I sing in Greek, and no one seems to notice. They are definitely not the "frozen chosen". And I definitely agree that we should occasionally worship with other Christians. It gets you to understand that Jesus is Lord, everywhere He walks among His people.