Wednesday, September 09, 2009

If God tells you to do something, you damn well better!

A few Sundays ago I was along the bank of the Fox River with a few friends and some people from other churches of the Aurora and surrounding area, it was 5th Sunday.

I was invited to come out and partake, as a follower of Christ but also as a photographer (it's my thing and I'm getting known for it). I took a few pictures of the worship band as well as the people gathered, when out of the blue one of the people who came to be at a friend's baptism, it was evident that he was distraught as he walked away.

"Go and BE" I heard in my mind and heart, "What?" I pondered internally, "Go and BE" it/He said again, this time I gathered that it was God and so I went to the guy who wandered away from the group.

I sat down next to the guy (Kevin), and I just stayed motionless and silent, not doing or saying, just BEing with him. Observing Kevin from the outside I could see pain; his scarred worn hands, clearly a guy who made his livelihood using them. His eyes were bloodshot, to which I don't know whether they're from crying a lot or perhaps some addiction, but regardless Kevin's condition on the outside grabbed at my heartstrings.

Eventually he spoke, he swore and cursed to the Heavens, crying out to God and telling me about his life all in the same breath. "I don't have a job" he told me a few times, from loud whispers to a scream, "I DON'T HAVE A FUCKING JOB!"
As Kevin shared with me about his on and off relationship with God but also going to church, followed up by his situation involving his girlfriend and her 4 kids...I found more in commonalities with Kevin than differences, after a while he decided to get up and go back to the group, but not till I embraced him.

I embraced him because he needed touch,
I embraced him because he made in the image of God, the one I believe in
I embraced him regardless of his stench, for no stench could keep me from loving Kevin

He walked back to the group, to his friend who was recently baptized, his voice loud and strong regardless of what was going on, it might have had the effect of being rude but I saw it as the tax collector in the temple who beat his breast and cried out to God "have mercy on me a sinner!" Jesus shared this parable to express how the poor will be uplifted and the proud will be humbled, then and there I recognized Kevin being uplifted, Kevin reaching out to someone bigger and better and God reaching back to Kevin...it was beautiful.

Kevin's friends did see it as public interuption, to which they were embarrassed and tried to get him away from our assembly so he would be a "problem" to the rest of us. He ignored them, even to the point of them driving off without him!

After the service some of us prayed for and over Kevin, I offered him a ride back to where he's staying at but he declined, he did thank me for BEing there with him and to listen to what he said. "Anytime Kevin, Anytime" I told him as I embraced him again. He walked off and my gaze stayed with him till he left, all the while my heart in prayer and my eyes welling with tears.

To speak of loving "the least of these" is NOT enough, we need to put our words into actions. God convicted me and I acted on what he told me to do, I am thankful I did, I am thankful I listened to God instead of ignoring him. It would have been easier to shrug off God, but if God calls you to do something, you damn well better.

Love "the least of these" in words AND actions,
BE instead of DO,
Go instead of Stay.

~Nathanael~

0 comments: