Monday, November 03, 2008

I think God's trying to get through to me...

In regards to my consumer whorish ways; I went clothes shopping today, I spent 45 minutes looking for some cool new threads and then, I starting thinking and feeling different -- do I really NEED new clothes even though it won't affect me monetarily? Why do I need more?

I walked out of the store empty handed...

More on my thoughts about this later.


:::EDIT:::

So lately I've been thinking about my spending habits and the spending habits of others, extremes in particular; take rap/hip hop music videos, they're predominantly about cash girls cars and more cash, some even throw money literally in their music videos, like yeah I have it and I will do with it as I please and then I think of people who wire money back to their families (it seems commonplace with some Mexicans in my area), and then there's me, I have bills to pay and yet I'm still a bit of a dependent (changing even now) on my parents, but I still have a bit of change that I can spend as I'd like to...or can I?

That's where God has been talking to me, I have and I want, but do I truly need MORE stuff in my life? I so desperately want to use less and give more and I think I am getting to that point where I want to act out accordingly. I'm also thinking missionally; that if I'm not going to places and friends are, I def. can help them out, I don't need it but they def. can use it for something bigger than I, than themselves, no sweat off my shoulders, I want to help even if I'm not the direct one who's helping.

Money is not a bad thing, 2 years ago I might have said so in my Walden and Into the Wild period of my life, plus you throw in jokers like Joel Olsteen who preach a Gospel of God wants you to be rich and etc... I do want to be successful, I do want to make some money in my life, but I don't want to throw it around and away. I want to invest in the lives of others with the money I make, give them the money and then have them give me a report of what they've been doing but more importantly what they have being.

So, the planner in me has thought out a few things:
1) Pay up what I owe sooner by putting more money out
2) Start saving more for later/post college/etc.
3) Invest in the lives of others, directly or indirectly, w/o expectations of reimbursement on a monetary level
4) If investing indirecly, get involved directly -- perhaps not to see the task to completion, but to have a hand in
5) Start investing in the one's the world views as unlovely
6) Pay it forward; the concept of the movie works for me
7) Start spring cleaning; I have too much, I am a consumer whore, I can give away stuff...free garage sale anyone?


God, I hear you and I want to be less of a consumer than I am. Thanks for getting through to me.
I love you father, I want to do and be more, for your glory and not my own.

[n][v]

0 comments: