Sunday, March 18, 2007

And so it begins...




As of tomorrow, my mother who up to this point has had various tests and two surgeries will start chemo treatment for her breast cancer. I knew some things were going to happen, but some of this I found out today after church ~ some elders and friends of my mom and family prayed over my mom, which I knew she found to be encouraging and as a person who has seen the gifts of the Spirit work within the life of peers and my own self, I do believe that God can heal my mom through this way, His will be done.
During the Sunday School part of church, as I work with middle schoolers, I have come to realize once again that I don't give grace where grace is due; too often I get upset at trivial things, in which I ponder to myself how could you not know? Regarding stupid things, yet it churns up some feelings that best be ignored. I also got a glimpse of Heaven when various kids within the middle school group approached my mom, hugged her and talked to her, some of the kids who my mom knows better than I approached me to talk some and some shared that while they will pray for my mom, they will pray for me as well. What a glimpse of Heaven, what a glimpse of Christian Community
In today's church bulletin, they shared a bit about what Christian Community is to look like, both from the angle of how it should look overall, but also what it looks like within Naperville Presbyterian Church (big "C" - the people, not the building). The community of the Church out in my area varies; I'm not putting it down, but sometimes the message both outloud and subtle is get your act together, then we'll help you in which in my mentoring of a middle school student today, he shared a bit about this, though not intential, it makes me wonder who else thinks in this way...

***

I chose the road photograph because there's a lot of ground that my Amma has yet to cover, both in the process of getting over breast cancer if it is God's will, but also life in general. She is a candle in this darkened world, both in lighting the way for others, but to also set them aflame with the word of God, she has been the major influence in my walk as a follower of Christ.
In her words, this is the verse that's become her key verse during this time:

Psalm 40:2b
He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock
and gave me a firm place to stand.

To my Amma; both physically and spiritually, the road will be long, but His will be done in all things.
[nv]

1 comments:

Ρωμανός ~ Romanós said...

Just checking in, my dear brother, to let you know I am with you in your life and in your prayer for Amma's complete recovery, God's will be done. I am trying to get together another package of "stuff" for you, so watch for it. The envelope will be large because one of the things is an old (2002) Orthodox calendar that's full of icons I think you'll like. I worked on rebuilding a garden gate all this weekend, and to reward myself (because it's Sunday and it's "permitted" even during Lent), I just downed about half a 750ml bottle of very good Chianti. I can't tell you how many times I had to go back and fix typos in this comment! Forgive me, and pray for Romanos the sinner.