Monday, April 09, 2007

Session 2: My mom's chemo...

Well, I'll get straight to the punch: today starts my mom's second treatment of chemo. From what she's told me, it'll be longer (3 hour session) and more draining, which I wonder what is MORE, 'cause I was there last time and she was out and under in less than 5 minutes.
She's losing her hair; my sister cut some of it last week, her ponytail to be precise, it has saddened her greatly that she's losing her hair (sometimes a little bit, sometimes in clumps). I've already informed her that while she loses her hair, I will shave my head (this song comes to mind) so she's not alone in this time with her chemo, hair-wise anyway...

Truth to be told, this is a very trying time for me; While I do want to help my mom where I can and when I can, I'm being stretched to extremes sometimes. I have to balance out my time and all that, but sometimes...sometimes I just want to be alone so I can recoup where needed be on my own. This recouping will probably take place in the form of a job that I'll be starting soon :) which I don't mind, I need some money...


[nv]

1 comments:

Ρωμανός ~ Romanós said...

Nathanael, I know I don't have to tell you not to worry. Your Mom's life is in God's hands. Even on the purely physical and medical side, most people do survive cancer, at least almost everyone I've known survived it, including my Dad (prostate) and my wife's Mom (breast cancer).

When my boss, whom I've worked for since I was 29, got a very bad case of cancer about 9 years ago and even lost one kidney and one testicle and some other stuff, when he was going thru chemo and lost his hair, I also shaved my head as a visible sign of solidarity, and let his wife know (she's Catholic) that I had our priests ask the help of St Nektarios of Aegina (the Orthodox "cancer" saint) for his recovery. As a matter of fact, it was on the feast-day of St Nektarios that Spencer went into surgery to have a cancerous growth about the size of a grapefruit removed from where it had attached to his lower spine, along with the kidney. That was the first of many successful operations and treatments.

When my boss was undergoing treatment in Boston for about 8 months, I ran the company for him, along with two colleagues, but I was the man in charge. My boss even began to draw close to God by showing an interest in Christianity, and he was very friendly to me all through that time. He's been cancer-free ever since he came back about 8 years ago. Unfortunately, after he recovered he reverted to his basic anti-Christian superiority attitude, and about three and a half years ago I was suddenly dropped from management (I was G/M) and for two years my boss didn't even speak to me, not even to say hello. I had always been the moral compass of his enterprises, but he eventually saw me as a roadblock in his path to wealth and success. No need to go into all that. I just mentioned it to show how people of the world, non-Christians, sometimes play with God (at first) and then play God (once they think they've outwitted him). This has nothing to do with your Amma, of course.

Anyway, I hope you had a blessed Pascha. Let me know if you received the parcel of books and stuff that I sent you. You should have it by now.

Go with God, and pray for Romanós the sinner.