Sunday, January 03, 2010

Giving Thanks: Family

Family; for me it is a big part of who I am and who I am becoming, though my family dynamic might look different than yours (which is true for anyone and who they define as family).

Family for me is my sisters 3 and myself. Sure I have a father and a mom, but because of different circumstances I no longer (at this point) consider us 6 a family. We 4 are getting to the point in our lives that we're moving out and away from our hometown in Illinois; some of us are away because of school and some have relocated elsewhere, I myself will be moving out to Southern California (God willing).

My sisters and I grew up in a house where we were very close proximity wise but maybe not as friends let along siblings. Each of us dabbled into each other's creative space, whether sports/music/writing/art, but we all reigned (and still do) in various areas.
It was easier to get along with some of my sisters than others, but I think at this chapter in our lives we all get along fine, different in some ways, but it all works out well.

While we are moving apart distance-wise, we are still in touch via phone/facebook/etc. I am glad we're still in touch because there are times where life just gets me down and sometimes it helps to talk it out with people who are closer than my friends, my family.  We're already making plans for when my youngest sister is in her senior year of college; 7-9 days in the Bahamas on a cruiseboat. We've already laid down the groundwork for it; we are doing this adventure ALONE, without parental units, without spouses (if any of us have them), just us 4, just us family.


[n][v]

0 comments: