Thursday, July 09, 2009

Sexual Education - Am I setting a double standard?

Lately I have been thinking about the future eduation of my future children pertaining to sex. I am thinking this over now so that when the time comes I might have a better answer to give...

I am a virgin, it is not a religious thing, it is not a because-God-told-me-to thing, but in my opinion I find that sex will be best between me and my future wife, to her I will give my virginity. Now if I marry someone who isn't a virgin, I am fine with that, but from a personal standpoint I am waiting.

Yet when I think about how I will go about teaching sex ed to my kids, some things come to mind:

- I will teach my kids the very basics at a younger age than I
- I want to open and honest where I can be with my kids pertaining to sex and sexualty
- When they're of age, I am considering teaching teaching them both abstinence AND safe[r] sex

The last one has me thinking, am I setting a double standard? Granted my sexual education was vague and somewhat of a joke, but in some ways it was my parents who taught me to save sex for marriage (but it is not their views that I reflect in my sexuality, but my own).
But thinking about kids in this present day and age, and some of the things I struggle and what my future kids might struggle with, I can't help but think that I might approach sex ed from both standpoints -- not as a save-sex-for-marriage-but-if-you-can't standpoint, but faced with sexuality in their own ways, I rather have my kids better prepared by use of different safe[r] sex methods.

I'm sure that some might question What if your daughter gets pregnant? What if your son gets someone pregnant? Yes, this is on my mind as well, and honestly I believe if I set the roots of trust and honesty in a lot of things at an early age, nurturing it like a plant, when kids are older they will remember and what might be deemed awkward might not be too awkward because the plants of trust and hoensty has been constantly nurtured and have grown into awesome plants (my kids in case you got lost in this metaphor).

I want to teach my kids about sexuality, that it is a gift from God, that is an awesome gift and should not be treated cheaply. I don't want to raise kids who run around sleeping with everyone, but if I seem maturity in them, sexual/emotional and even spiritual, I might be more comfortable handing them condoms and birth control than if I never set the groundwork (it has to be set down, but still it is maturity from the groundwork that my wife and I will have to resolve if we should hand them better protection than none).

With abstinence I want it to be something they claim, I don't want them to go about as virgins from a standpoint of that their mom and I told them to. I want it to become they either accept or reject on their own, same thing with being raised in a Christian household, I want what they hear and learn to be something they claim as their own, as the quote goes; "God has no grandchildren". It has to be something they think out and call their own, thinking for oneself is a part of growing up.

Still with all this, but mostly the latter, my wife will have a say in this. I will not go behind my wife and hand out better protection if she says NO in abstinence taught along side safe[r] sex. Yet maybe she will see my point of view and this is how we will teach our kids about sex and sexuality.

[n][v]

0 comments: