Sunday, April 13, 2008

The Body of Christ -- A church I visited today...

Last week I went to a Lao New Years Day Party put on by the library in the area near my school, while there I met the pastor of LAO Community Alliance, who invited me to his church this Sunday morning, so I went.
It was very interesting; the predominant language spoken is Lao, but it is translated into English...sometimes, and alternating Sunday's the service is translated from Lao to English, English to Lao and then there's a combined service the following Sunday. I sang along to the songs in English, while the majority of people around me sang in Lao.

***

After the service, I went to a Sunday School of sorts, in which I hung out with some guys who are in their early teens and late teens, I was the oldest so they asked for my insight because "I'm a college student" (as if I have all the answers! Ha!). We discussed the passage of scripture talking about Salt and Light (Matt. 15, right after the Beatitudes).

***

Then I was invited to a Lao church potluck! The food was different, but I believe that in regards to food everything must be tried at least once! The food was good, and you know how in National Geographic they sometimes show oversea foreign food markets? Remember photos of small fish that you could eat right away?


I had one! ;)
Very salty and I ate the eyes first, which is a Lao thing according to the pastor. The Lao teens clapped after I did this, because even THEY won't eat it.

***

All in all, I had an enjoyable time worshiping with my bro's and sis's in Christ who are Lao or of Lao decent.

0 comments: